HOW TO MAKE VIETNAMESE ICED MILK COFFEE | CÀ PHÊ SỮA ĐÁ
Vietnamese iced milk coffee is a classic morning delight for many of Viet Nam. What sets Vietnamese coffee apart—in my opinion—is how much darker the roast is compared to American coffee. Put it this way: the darkest American coffee bean is probably the lightest Vietnamese coffee bean. My husband, born and raised in Viet Nam, will only drink Vietnamese coffee because American coffee just tastes “like tinted water” to him. My daughter, however, was raised in America where she spends most mornings at Starbucks, cannot drink Vietnamese coffee unless she dumps in 4 cups of sugar and half a bottle of creamer.
There are a couple of ways to prepare this, depending on your personal preference. But generally, cà phê sữa đá is darker (usually, the darkest) coarse Vietnamese-grown coffee filtered through a metal drip filter on top of the sweetened condensed milk. The filtered coffee is then poured over ice. I use Trung Nguyễn coffee. Café Du Monde is another popular Vietnamese coffee brand you’ll see in Asian supermarkets. As for the sweetened condensed milk, any brand will work fine. We use Longevity at our house.
It might sound a bit complicated on a computer screen, but I personally find making Vietnamese iced milk coffee easier than trying to get my American coffee maker happy in the morning… but I digress.
Once the coffee is fully drained through the filter, simply stir to mix the coffee with the condensed milk. Drink as is if you prefer hot coffee, otherwise, pour it over ice. The tea is optional, for clearing your taste buds. Exact instructions are, of course, listed below.
- Add sweetened condensed milk to a glass (not to be confused with the glass of ice.)
- Place phin (metal cup) on top of glass of sweetened condensed milk.
- Remove the inner filter from phin.
- Add coffee to phin. Slowly press the inner filter down on top of the coffee.
- Slowly add 50 ml of boiled water to phin.
- Once the coffee is done draining from phin, remove phin off the glass.
- Using a spoon, mix sweetened condensed milk with coffee.
- Pour coffee over glass of ice, or enjoy hot.
Add more or less coffee and condensed milk depending on your preference. The green tea will help clear your taste buds if you so choose.